33 Healthy Snack Ideas For Kids (superhero themed and doctor endorsed)!May 11, 2020
I’ve asked the experts….what exactly are the guidelines for healthy snack ideas for kids (that parents, children, and doctors actually agree on)?
Medical City Hospital states:
- 200 calories or less
- 7 g of fat or less
- 2 g of saturated fat or less
- 2 g of fiber or more
- 15 g of sugar or less
- must contain a minimum of 1/2 cup fruit or vegetable per serving
They’ve come up with 33 kid-friendly, healthy snack recipes that I cannot wait to share with you!
If you’re a momma who’s participated in the 21 day challenge, then you’ve seen these before!
For everyone else, let’s dive in:
1). CUCUMBER POPPERS
- cucumber, with peel, 8.25″ 1/2 item cut into thick slices
- cream cheese, nonfat 3 tbsp
- cherry tomatoes, fresh 1/8 cup
- carrots, fresh, shredded 2 tbsp
- garlic powder 1/8 tsp
- red pepper, chopped 1/4 cup
cut cucumber into approx 8-9 slices depending on thickness. chop cherry tomatoes into quarters. chop bell pepper into small pieces. chop shredded carrots into small pieces. in a bowl, combine cream cheese with garlic powder, chopped red pepper, and shredded carrots. mix until fairly smooth texture is achieved (not lumpy). put a dollop of cream cheese mixture on each slice of cucumber. top each slice with 2 cherry tomato pieces.
Random side note, but I used the above recipe in one of my recent meal planning emails. Are you signed up for those yet? If you want to, feel free to hit the green button below and I’ll hook you up:
2). SUPER DELICIOUS RASPBERRY YOGURT
- granola, oats n’ honey, crushed 1 tsp
- raspberries, whole, raw 1/2 cup
- yogurt, greek, nonfat, plain, single serve container 1 item
measure 1/2 cup of raspberries, reserve two to decorate at the end. empty yogurt into a bowl and add the raspberries to it (all except the 2 set aside). stir well. measure out 1 tsp of granola and crush it. sprinkle granola on top and add your 2 reserved raspberries.
3). SNOW POWER PEAS
- snow peas, fresh, raw 4 cup
- salted butter 1/2 tbsp
- lemon juice, fresh squeezed 1 tbsp
- black pepper, ground (pinch)
place peas in a bowl and mix with 1 tbsp of lemon juice. place butter into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for approx 10 seconds to melt. pour melted butter over snow peas and mix well so the flavors balance out. season with black pepper and divide into 4 portions.
4). THE LAYERS OF PLUM MAGIC
- pomegranate seeds 1 cup
- yogurt, greek, plain, nonfat 1 cup
- plums, medium 3 items
if using a fresh pomegranate, roll the whole pomegranate on the counter. cut the fruit in half. hold each half over a bowl and tap with a wooden spoon while squeezing. wash plums and cut in half. remove the pit. cut each plum into 6-8 pieces. in a small cup, layer 2 tbsp of yogurt, 2 tbsp of seeds, 2 tbsp of plum. repeat layers one more time. repeat steps 6 & 7 to create 3 more servings.
5). APPLE HERO OATS
- dried apricot, no added sugar 1/4 cup
- peanut butter, creamy 11/2 tbsp
- oats, dry 1/2 tbsp
- apple, small 1 item
cut apricots into small pieces. in a bowl, mix dried apricot bits and oats together, set aside. cut the apple into slices. spread peanut butter on apple slices. put apricot oat mixture on top of peanut butter covered apple slices.
6). SUPER CUCUMBERWICH
- cucumber, with peel, 8.25″ 1 item
- turkey, flat-free, 2 slices
- ranch dressing, fat-free 1 tbsp
- spinach leaves, raw 1/4 cup
- carrot shreds 8 each
- salt & pepper pinch
rinse cucumber, cut off ends and cut in half lengthwise. scoop seeds into a bowl. mix seeds with ranch dressing, salt, and pepper. layer cucumber halves with 4 spinach leaves, 2 turkey slices and half of the seed mixture. top with carrot shreds.
7). CAULIFLOWER BREAKFAST MUG
- cauliflower floret, riced 1/2 cup
- egg, medium 1 item
- milk, 2% reduced fat 1 tbsp
- steak seasoning 1/4 tsp
- olive oil cooking spray
- green bell pepper, chopped 2 tbsp
- red bell pepper, chopped 2 tbsp
coat the inside of the mug with 2 sprays. crack an egg into the mug. add milk and steak seasoning, mix well. add cauliflower and chopped peppers stir gently. microwave for 3 minutes. leave in the microwave for 1 minute before removing.
8). CHARGE UP CRUNCHY CHERRY PARFAIT
- banana, medium 1/4 item
- pitted dark cherries, frozen or canned in water 1/4 cup
- orange juice 1 tbsp
- yogurt, plain greek 1/4 cup
- granola 4 tsp
dice banana and cherries and place in a small bowl. add orange juice and greek yogurt, mix well. in a medium-sized plastic cup or glass, layer half of the yogurt mixture and half of the granola. then repeat layer one more time. enjoy immediately or cover and enjoy the next day.
9). INFINITY SMOOTHIE
- celery, chopped 1/2 cup
- soy milk, unsweetened 1 cup
- banana, medium 1/3 item
- strawberries, medium 5 each
- cranberry juice, unsweetened 1/4 cup
- ice 1/2 cup
cut the strawberries, banana, and celery to measured amount and place in a blender. measure and add the cranberry juice, soy milk and ice to the blender. blend until smooth. serve a strawberry wedge on the rim of each cup.
10). MANDARIN MAN
- mandarin orange, fresh 1 item
- red grapes, large 6 items
cut orange into 6 slices in shape of wings. stick 2 grapes onto a toothpick. repeat step 2 with the other 2 toothpicks. place orange slices on each side of each toothpick to make mandarin man.
- watermelon, diced 1/2 cup
- jicama, pre-sliced, diced 1/4 cup
- gelatin, sugar free, strawberry, ready to eat
- cantaloupe, diced 1/4 cup
- tan spice pinch
dice the pre-sliced jicama into small pieces and put 1/4 cup in a mixing bowl. dice the watermelon and add 1/2 cup to the same mixing bowl. dice the cantaloupe and add 1/4 cup to the mixing bowl. gently mix all the diced fruits and jicama. remove the gelatin from its container and add to the mixing bowl. mix well as the gelatin breaks down with mixing motion; refrigerate for 5-10 min. after 5-10 min add just a pinch of tan seasoning.
12). SUPER WAND
- watermelon, 1″ thick 1 slice
- green grapes, fresh 6 items
- raspberries, fresh 6 items
take the watermelon slice, and with the cookie cutter, cut the watermelon into one large star shape and set it aside. take a skewer and add the grapes alternating with raspberries - so 1 grape then 1 raspberry. do this until all grapes and raspberries are on the skewer. put star-shaped watermelon at the tip of your fruit stick to complete your super wand.
13). HONEY CRISP APPLE BITES
- graham cracker, honey, low fat, square 4 items
- cream cheese, low fat 1 tbsp
- honey crisp apple, chopped 1/2 cup
- honey 1/4 tsp
- walnuts, chopped 2 tsp
break crackers into 4 squares and place on a plate. spread 1 tbsp of cream cheese on all four crackers. slice apple into wedges; then chop each slice until you have 1/2 cup of chopped apples. place about 2 tbsp of chopped apples on top of each cracker. drizzle honey on all four crackers. sprinkle 2 tsp of walnuts on top.
14). PEPPER POWER WRAP
- tortilla, flour, wheat, 6″ 1 item
- baby spinach, raw, fresh, tightly packed 1/2 cup
- hummus, red pepper roasted 2 tbsp
- bell pepper, orange, thin strips 1/2 cup
lay tortilla on a plate. measure out 2 tbsp of hummus, spread it onto tortilla. cut the bell pepper into thin slices to get 1/2 cup of orange bell pepper strips. put bell pepper strips onto tortilla. measure a half cup of spinach, line it up on to tortilla. carefully roll tortilla up tightly. cut into 4 pieces.
15). BAT SHORTCAKE
- whole-wheat bread 1 slice
- cream cheese, reduced fat 11/2 tsp
- dates, dry, chopped 1/8 cup
- water 1/8 cup
- vanilla extract 1/8 tsp
- strawberry, fresh, small 1 item
- raspberries, fresh 2 items
- blackberries, fresh 2 items
- pistachios, crushed 1 tsp
toast bread. microwave dates and water in a bowl for 30-45 seconds. wait for 1 minutes before removing. mash dates with cream cheese and vanilla to form a paste. place toast on a plate and cut out a circle shape with cookie cutter. spread toast with date paste. slice strawberry. lay berries one at a time in a circle, alternating each type. crush pistachios in a a zipper bag and sprinkle on top.
16). ZUCCHINI BITES
zucchini, small 1 item
pizza slice, traditional 1/4 cup
mozzarella cheese, reduced fat, shredded 1/4 cup
oven-roasted turkey breast 1 slice
cut zucchini into circular pieces (about 14). put a small amount of sauce on each zucchini piece. sprinkle cheese on zucchini. tear the turkey into small pieces and put on zucchini. microwave zucchini bites on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
17). CAPTAIN CALCIUM’S BERRY BLAST
- yogurt, greek, plain, nonfat 1 cup
- granola, pumpkin seed & flax 2 tbsp
- blackberries, fresh 1/2 cup
measure yogurt and add to a bowl. place the blackberries on top of yogurt. sprinkle with granola.
18). KA-POW KALE VEGGIE DIP
- mayonnaise, fat-free 1/8 cup
- yogurt, greek, plain, nonfat 1/2 cup
- green bell pepper, chopped 1/4 cup
- carrots, raw, shredded 1/4 cup
- green onion, thinly sliced 2 tbsp
- garlic & onion powder 1/4 tsp each
- whole wheat crackers 4 items
- baby carrots 6
- salt pinch
- broccoli florets 1/4 cup
- kale 1/2 cup
chop bell pepper into small squares. slice green onion into thin slices. teak kale into small pieces. mix mayo, yogurt, kale, pepper, carrot shreds, green onion and seasonings together in a mixing bowl using a spoon. chill for 30 minutes before serving. serve with whole wheat crackers, broccoli, and baby carrots.
19). SNAPPY NOODLES
sugar snap peas, fresh 1/4 cup
whole wheat spaghetti, cooked 1/2 cup
sesame seed oil 1 tsp
garlic powder 1/8 tsp
less sodium soy sauce 2 tsp
ginger powder 1/8 tsp
mandarin oranges, packed in juice 1/4 cup
microwave spaghetti for 2 minutes. wait 1 minute before removing. combine oil, garlic, soy sauce and ginger in small mixing bowl. add spaghetti to bowl and stir to coat them in sauce. drain juice from oranges and add to bowl. cut peas into small pieces and add to bowl. toss ingredients together.
20). THE CAPTAIN BERRY SALAD
- cherry tomatoes 2 cups
- blackberries 1 cup
- blueberries 1 cup
- reduced-fat string cheese 2 items
- olive oil 11/2 tsp
- balsamic vinegar 1 tbsp
- salt & pepper to taste
cut cheese into 1/2" slices. combine cherry tomatoes, blackberries, and blueberries into a mixing bowl. whisk olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to make dressing. pour dressing into mixing bowl and stir to combine. divide evenly into 4 serving cups.
21). THE POWER BERRY PARFAIT
- peach, frozen or fresh 3 slices
- yogurt, plain, low-fat 6 tbsp
- raspberries, raw 7-9 items
- blueberries, raw 12 items
place raspberries and blueberries in separate bowls and rinse. cut peach slices into smaller pieces. put 2 tbsp of yogurt into medium-sized cup or bowl. layer in this order: peaches, 2 tbsp yogurt, blueberries, 2 tbsp yogurt, raspberries.
22). INCREDI PEAR-FAIT
- bosc pears, fresh, diced 1/3 cup
- strawberries, medium 6 items
- yogurt, vanilla, nonfat 1/3 cup
- granola 1 tsp
slice 1 strawberry and set aside. dice remaining strawberries and 1/3 cup of fresh pear. in a small cup, layer 1/2 of the diced strawberries, 1 tbsp of yogurt and 1/2 of the diced pears. make a second layer with 1 tbsp of yogurt, the rest of the strawberries and the rest of the pears. make a final layer with the rest of the yogurt and the sliced strawberry. sprinkle granola on top.
23). SUPER SILLY SALAD
- butter lettuce leaf 2 each
- strawberries, medium 2 each
- blackberries, fresh 8 items
- pear, fresh 2 tbsp
- pineapple chunks, canned in juice 2 tbsp
- honey 1/4 tsp
cut berries, pear and pineapple into small pieces. place fruit on top of 2 large lettuce leaves. drizzle 1/4 tsp of honey over the fruit. alternatively, roll it into a lettuce wrap and insert toothpick to hold it in place.
24). CAPTAIN CRANBERRY
- apple, small 1/2 item
- peanut butter, creamy, reduced fat 2 tbsp
- dried cranberries, 50% less sugar 2 tbsp
cut small apple in half. set one aside. spread 1 tbsp of peanut butter on each apple slice. top each slice with 1 tbsp of reduced-sugar cranberries.
25). CARROT MAN AND HIS CRANBERRY VAN
- flour 3 tbsp
- cinnamon 1/2 tsp
- shredded carrots 1/2 cup
- salt 1/8 tsp
- baking powder 1/4 tsp
- pumpkin spice 1/4 tsp
- applesauce, unsweetened 1 tbsp
- almond milk, original 1 tsp
- dried cranberries, 50% less sugar, 2 tbsp
in a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and salt. in a second bowl, mix the applesauce, almond milk, carrots, and cranberries. pour the small bowl with the dry ingredients into the second bowl with the wet ingredients an dmix together. our all the ingredients into the coffee mug. place the mug into the microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds. let stand in the microwave for 1 minute before serving.
26). BROCCOLI POWDER PUNCH SMOOTHIE
- broccoli cuts, frozen, thawed 1/2 cup
- banana, sliced 1/2 cup
- strawberries & raspberries, frozen, unsweetened 1/2 cup each
- pineapple juice, unsweetened 1/2 cup
measure 1/2 cup of frozen broccoli and set aside to thaw. slice banana until you have 1/2 cup, then add to blender. add all berries, pineapple juice and broccoli to blender. blend on low speed for 1 minute (or until smooth).
27). THE MIXERUPPER
- cantaloupe, precut into cubes 1/2 cup
- honeydew melon precut, cubed 1/4 cup
- red grapes 1/4 cup
- raspberries, fresh, whole 1/4 cup
- lime juice, unsweetened 2 tbsp
- lemon juice, unsweetened 2 tbsp
mix together honeydew, cantaloupe and grapes in a big bowl. add raspberries and blueberries to the bowl and mix. add lime and lemon juices to bowl and mix. divide into 2 serving bowls and enjoy.
- baby spinach, fresh, tightly packed 1/2 cup
- cheese, reduced fat, 4-cheese Mexican 1 tbsp
- black beans, canned 1 tbsp
- tortilla, whole wheat, 6″ 1 item
put 1/2 cup of spinach into microwave for 20 seconds. place spinach evenly onto tortilla. sprinkle cheese evenly over the spinach. put 1 tbsp of black beans over cheese & spinach. fold tortilla in half and use a toothpick to make sure it stays closed. microwave super-dill for 15-20 seconds and let sit with microwave for 30 seconds before serving.
29). SUPER BERRIES
- strawberries, fresh, whole, large 6 items
- yogurt, greek, nonfat, plain 1/4 cup
- blueberries, fresh 6 items
- honey 1/4 tsp
scoop out the centers of each strawberry, and save the "scooped" out strawberry in a bowl. measure out 1/4 cup of yogurt and put it in the bowl, with the "scooped" strawberry; mix well. place a blueberry into the center of each strawberry. fill each strawberry with the yogurt mixture. drizzle honey on top.
30). POWER PACK PARFAIT
- mango, frozen, unsweetened 1/4 cup
- strawberries, frozen, unsweetened 1/4 cup
- banana, fresh, sliced 1/4 cup
- greek yogurt, plain, nonfat 1/2 cup
- lemon juice 2 tsp
- water, divided, as needed 2 tbsp
slice banana until you have 1/4 cup then add to blender with yogurt and lemon juice. blend until smooth. pour into glass or sundae dish. rinse out blender, then place strawberries and 1 tbsp water into blender. blend until smooth. pour misquote on top of banana mixture. rinse out blender, then place mango and 1 tbsp water into blender. blend until smooth. our on top of berry mixture.
31). TURKEY TERMINATOR WRAP
- flour tortilla, wheat, 6″ 1 item
- turkey, sliced 2 slices
- cheddar cheese, nonfat, shredded 1 tbsp
- red bell pepper 1/4 cup
- spinach leaves, tightly packed 1/4 cup
- mayonnaise, with olive oil 1/2 tbsp
- salt & pepper pinch
cut the red bell pepper into small, thin slices. chop spinach. heat tortilla in microwave for 15 seconds. spread mayonnaise on top of tortilla. place turkey on top of tortilla and mayonnaise. place cheese on top of turkey. place spinach leaves on top of cheese. place red bell pepper on top of spinach. sprinkle a pinch of salt & pepper. roll tortilla up, cut in half.
32). ISLAND RESCUE SUB
- slider bun, whole wheat 1 item
- lettuce leaf 1 item
- deli ham, 96% fat-free 1 slice
- mozzarella cheese slice 1/2 slice
- pineapple, diced, fresh or canned in juice 1/4 cup
- tomato, 1/4″in thick slice 2 slices
place ham on microwave-safe plate. layer pineapple and cheese on top of ham. microwave for 10-20 seconds to melt cheese. slice the roll in half. place lettuce on the bottom half of the roll. place ham, pineapple and cheese stack on top of the lettuce. place 2 tomato slices on top of cheese.
33). SUPER DUPER SWEET POTATO DIP
- sweet potato, medium, raw 1 item
- Granny Smith apple, small 1 item
- yogurt, greek, plain, nonfat 2 tbsp
- honey 3/4 tsp
- pecans, chopped 2 tbsp
microwave apple and sweet potato for 6-8 minutes. let cool for 3 minutes. cut sweet potato in half, lengthwise. scoop insides into mixing bowl. add yogurt and honey and mash together with a fork. place dip back into emptied sweet potato skins. top each with pecans. slice whole apple into wedges for dipping.
I hope this was helpful! Let me know which snack you can’t wait to make! Thanks for stopping by!